Participating in events is a good way to become acquainted with your fellow members.
Enjoy the University's ambiance every day! Being on the UC San Diego campus offers you many benefits: Its libraries house over 2.2 million volumes and as an Osher member you will be able to register for a free library card. The UCSD Bookstore offers general interest books, insignia gifts and clothing, computer hardware and software, and thousands of art, electronic, school and office supplies.
US News and World Report ranks UCSD and its colleges sixth in the nation among public-supported institutions. Its faculty includes 6 Nobel Laureates, a Fields Medalist, 5 MacArthur Foundations Fellows, 3 recipients of the National Medal of Science plus Fulbright and Guggenheim Fellows.
Whether you like to watch college athletics or to swim in its pools, the athletics and recreation programs can get your hands clapping and your feet flapping. You can find a variety of services, places, and spaces in the Price Center: ATMs, campus box office, food, photo lab and concerts and dances. Enjoy the wonderful museums and exhibits that UCSD proudly maintains. Most of UCSD's art collections and exhibits are open to the public.
Participating in Osher activities is an excellent way to become acquainted with your fellow members. Details on specific activities and information on registration are advertised well in advance to all Osher members. Below is a list of our recent outings and we always welcome suggestions for new activities.
- Tour of the New American Museum in Liberty Station
- Tour of the University of San Diego galleries featuring an exhibition of Wayne Thiebaud, led by Derrick Carwright, Director of USD Galleries
- San Diego Neighborhoods series: walking tours of Mission Hills, Banker's Hill, Kensinton and more!
- Center for the Future of Surgery - tour and demonstration led by Dr. Santiago Horgan
- A tour of the Real Pirates Exhibit at the San Diego Natural History Museum
- Balboa Park Walking Tour
- Attended Seven Against Thebes by Aeschulus at the Mandell Weiss Forum Theatre.
- Whale watching tour
San Diego Lyric Opera's production Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance
- Holiday and spring luncheon at the Admiral Kidd Club
- Huntington Library Tour.
- Backstage tour of the Old Globe Theatre in Balboa Park and performance of “The Mystery of Irma Vep".
- Body Worlds 2 and The Brain—Our Three Pound Gem” at the San Diego Natural History Museum
- The Da Vinci Experience at the San Diego Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park
- Chula Vista Nature Center
- Maritime Museum Tour
- Torrey Pines Special Walks
- Star Trek, the Exhibition at the San Diego Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park.
- Tour of the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla
- Docent led tour of Mingei Museum trip to see three current exhibits
- Holiday Party at Tom Ham's Lighthouse Restaurant on Harbor Island with Martha Barnett co-host of "A Way with Words"
- Docent tour of "Andy Warhol's Dream America" exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Art
- Walking tour of the Gaslamp Quarter, a Then and Now Look
- USS Midway Aircraft Carrier and Petco Park Tours
- Tour the KPBS (NPR Radio) Studio on the San Diego State University Campus.
- Bus trip to the Norton Simon museum in Pasadena, CA for a guided tour of German Expression Art galleries, led by Osher lecturer and expert Cornelia Feye, M.A.
- Bus trip to the Nixon Presidential Library & Museum in Yorba Linda, CA
- Bus trip to the Getty Museum in Los Angeles to see the featured exhibit with works by J.M.W. Turner
- Bus trip to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see the featured exhibit - Expressionism: Van Gogh to Kandinsky
- Bus trip to Los Angeles Museum of Art to see "Renoir in the 20th Century" and "American Stories Paintings of Everyday Life 1765 - 1915"
- Huntington Library Tour: Tour of the Huntington Estate in San Marino
- The Terra Cotta Warriors at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana.
- Norton Simon Museum and Old Town Pasadena
- Bus trip to the Getty Villa in Malibu
- Bus trip to Los Angeles Music Center and Walt Disney Concert Hall tours and lunch at the Farmer's Market
- North Coast Repertory matinee performance of No Way to Treat a Lady in Solana Beach
- A Visit to California Center for the Arts, Escondido Museum and Mingei International Museum North County in Escondido
- A bus trip to Palm Springs to see the all-new 15th Birthday Show featuring the Four Coins, a '50s vocal
- California Wolf Center in Julian and Temecula Wine Country Tour
- Tour of the new J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles
- San Juan Capistrano by train and a docent tour of the Mission
- Trip to Los Angeles Museum of Art to see "Ansel Adams at 100" and "Sargent and Italy"
- Trip to the Bowers Museum to view the "Mummies: Death and the Afterlife in Ancient Egypt ...Treasures from the British Museum" exhibit