Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I join Osher anytime during the year?
- Yes, anytime. You can join for the balance of the school year with membership fees prorated or just join for one quarter at a time.
- What about parking?
- You can purchase an annual parking pass, a quarterly parking pass, or a 10-day Occasional Use parking pass from the Gilman Parking Office. Alternatively, you can also pay per hour by using the permit machines in Extension parking lot P303.
- Does Osher have a minimum age requirement?
- Yes. The Osher Council decided that the minimum age for membership should be 50. All of our classes are held during the morning and afternoon hours.
- Is Osher just a men's or women's organization?
- No, our approximately 700+ members gives us a good balance of men and women.
- In addition to the membership fee, are there other expenses?
- Parking fees, if you drive. Your membership fee covers every Osher class that is offered except for the Master Classes, which do require separate registration.
- Will I have homework or required reading?
- No, but you may want to complete any suggested reading.
- Must I attend a certain number of classes?
- You can come and go as you please. Take a vacation. Visit your grandchildren. We'll always be here for you when you return.
- Is it possible to carpool with other members?
- We have no formal carpooling arrangements, for so much depends on matching people according to localities and attendance preferences. That said, some carpooling takes place on an informal basis.
- How do I opt out of including my contact information in the membership directory?
- We do print a membership directory for our members that includes name, address, email, and phone number. If you DO NOT want us to print your contact information, please contact the Osher Office at 858-534-3409 or email@example.com.
- As an Osher member, what email distribution lists will I be on? How do I unsubscribe?
- In an effort to accommodate member requests we have created 2 separate email distribution lists. Each list has a different function. Here are the functions of each list:
1. Osher-Members Email List (will come from firstname.lastname@example.org): Belonging to this list will allow you to receive ONLY official information directly related to the Osher program (weekly schedules, class changes, registration information etc). If you unsubscribe from this list you will not receive messages regarding Osher classes, curriculum, and registration.
2. Osher-Info Email List (will come from email@example.com): Belonging to this list will allow you to receive information that may be of interest to the Osher members, including specific class announcements and reading material, links to selected campus and community events of interest, Osher social events, etc. If you unsubscribe from this list you will not receive messages with this subject matter.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE from either list please follow these directions:
1. To unsubscribe from Osher-Info go to this link: https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/unex-osherinfo-l OR To unsubscribe from Osher-Members go to this link: https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/unex-oshermembers-l
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page
3. Enter your email address into the last empty box on the page (directly to the right is a grey button that says “Unsubscribe or Edit Options”)
4. Click on the grey “Unsubscribe or Edit Options” button
5. On the final page, click the “Unsubscribe” button
6. By clicking on the “Unsubscribe” button, a confirmation message will be emailed to you. This message will have a link that you should click on to complete the removal process (you can also confirm by email; see the instructions in the confirmation message).
- Is there a discount if both spouses join?
- No, but, of course, you can save on parking fees.
- How about a senior discount?
- We are all seniors. So you could say our membership fee is already discounted.
- What proportion of classes are taught by our own members?
- About 20% of our classes are taught by Osher members. Other lectures and seminars feature outstanding faculty and researchers from the San Diego community, as well as local leaders, artists, and musicians.
- Is the Osher classroom wheelchair accessible?
- What about extracurricular activities?
- Each quarter there are extracurricular activities and these will be highlighted in the catalog.
- Do you employ electronic audio and visual equipment?
- Osher has a state of the art audio visual system to accomodate all speakers as well as our members. Available visual equipment includes a video projector, overhead projector, slide projector, and a computer that projects onto a large screen.
- Is a college degree required?
- No, the only requirement is your desire to explore the type of classes you'll find on our classes web page.
La Jolla Campus
Osher is located near the coast on the UC San Diego Campus in beautiful La Jolla, California.
9600 N. Torrey Pines Rd.
La Jolla, CA 92037
Phone: (858) 534-3409